Golf Club Road/Old Quarry Road Improvement Project
The Golf Club Road/Old Quarry Road Improvement Project is a corridor enhancement project that will construct “complete street” enhancements along Golf Club Road (from the Contra Costa Canal Trail to approximately 300 feet east of the Old Quarry Road Intersection) and Old Quarry Road (between Golf Club Road and Chipancingo Parkway). Key project elements include the following:
- Replacement of existing concrete sidewalk along the north side of Golf Club Road.
- Widening of existing concrete sidewalk along the north side of Golf Club Road between Stubbs Road and the Contra Costa Canal Trail.
- Replacement of existing concrete sidewalk along the east side of Old Quarry Road between Golf Club Road and Chipancingo Parkway and on the west side between Golf Club Road and Camelback Road.
- Installation of a new single lane roundabout at the Old Quarry Road/Camelback Road intersection.
- Installation of a new traffic signal at the Golf Club Road/Stubbs Road intersection with pedestrian exclusive phasing.
- Replacement of existing traffic signal at the Golf Club Road/Old Quarry Road intersection.
- Modification of existing traffic signal at the Old Quarry Road/Chilpancingo Parkway intersection.
- Installation of a new crosswalk beacon (RRFB) at the Golf Club Road/Tempe Court intersection.
- Lane reconfiguration along Golf Club Road (including turn pocket extension) to meet Diablo Valley College (DVC) traffic demand.
- New bike lanes along Golf Club Road and Old Quarry Road.
- “Road diet” along Old Quarry Road, incorporating one vehicle lane each direction and bike lanes.
- Decorative LED street lighting along Golf Club Road and Old Quarry Road.
- Colored crosswalks along Golf Club Road.
- Water-wise landscaping along Golf Club Road and Old Quarry Road.
The main goals for the project enhancements are to enhance access/safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users in the area, improve traffic circulation, and enhance overall corridor aesthetics.
Project Cost and Funding
Total project construction cost is approximately $4,659,000, which will be paid through $3.9 million in Federal One Bay Area Grant (OBAG), $80,000 in State Transportation Development Act (TDA) – Article 3 grant, and $679,000 in local funds.
Construction Schedule and Impact
City Council awarded the construction contract to Ghilotti Construction, Inc. on February 27, 2017, and the contractor is scheduled to break ground along Golf Club Road in the middle of April 2017. The total contract duration is estimated at 10 months, extending through to February 2018.
During project construction, contractor work hours are set to minimize impact to the nearby businesses, apartment complex, and DVC campus, and temporary traffic control will be established. Temporary pedestrian detour routes will also be established when existing sidewalks are demolished and replaced. All commercial and private driveways will remain open during the project construction.
Project Owner/Manager – Eric Hu, Senior Civil Engineer, City of Pleasant Hill
Project Construction Manager – Kerry Theran, Resident Engineer, Quincy Engineering, Inc.
Project Construction – Ghilotti Construction, Inc.
Project Designer – WRECO
If there are any questions or issues about the project construction, residents are encouraged to contact Kerry Theran, the construction manager for the project, at (916) 368-9181.